Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in Lake Forest, many of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Look at the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it should be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a simple way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also save money on your heating bill! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Using your heat more efficiently helps lower your bill.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is operating effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—even with your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. in Lake Forest a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 949-204-0859 or schedule an appointment with us online.