Spring is in the air here in Lake Forest and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home seem as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your typical schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to wait until after you return to post anything about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so no sense letting potential criminals know your intentions. Everyone will be just as delighted by the fantastic things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. A simple way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. in Lake Forest a call at 949-204-0859.