Before your annual furnace service appointment, spend a little time checking around your home for areas that may be letting your warm air escape. Leaky doors and windows and other areas lower the efficiency of your furnace. You could be throwing money out the window! Merely identifying leaks could make a huge difference in your energy savings.
Repairing many cracks and leaks can be an easy DIY project that could help you save money year after year. When all your leaks are sealed, you’ll also get the most benefit from your annual furnace service. What could be better than enhancing energy efficiency and saving money, all while making your home more comfortable?
So where should you check for those pesky leaks?
A great deal of air can leak out through your attic. Here are some specific areas to look at:
- Stud cavities could be open or uninsulated, permitting air to easily leak out. You’ll wind up with a chillier home and a higher utility bill.
- Don’t forget your attic access doors when you replace or install weatherstripping in your home. Many people overlook them and they can let a substantial amount of heat escape.
Any openings into your house.
A lot of heat is lost through windows and doors.
- Inspect your weatherstripping. If it’s cracked or torn, it’s time to replace it.
- Inspect the caulking around all of your windows, checking both inside and outside. Simply use a caulking gun to seal any holes you notice.
- Cover any gaps around your chimney and flue (if you have a chimney) to prevent air from escaping.
There are so many ways to make certain you get the most out of your annual furnace service, but following this list will give you a huge advantage. You’ll be more comfortable and your home will be more efficient. At 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc., we are here for you to answer your questions about these tips. And, if you need to set up a furnace service appointment, give us a call at 949-204-0859.