According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts must be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. in Lake Forest about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are steps you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc.. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system working at peak performance. Checking your system often and replacing the air filter when needed will also help keep your ducts clear.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Lake Forest home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. at 949-204-0859 or make an appointment online.