Anyone who’s ever had to wait for an order to show up understands it can be an irritating experience. The wait is even more annoying when it’s a central piece of HVAC equipment like a new furnace or air conditioner. With backlogs and supply shortages, some people are waiting weeks for their new HVAC system to show up. If you’re considering upgrading your existing system with something like furnace installation in Lake Forest, it may be a good idea to order now.
Current shortages are a result of a few problems throughout the supply chain. We’ll explore how these issues have affected the HVAC industry as well as what you can do to reduce the impact.
Why Is There an HVAC Product Shortage?
Standard HVAC systems like furnaces and air conditioners are complex pieces of technology. Normally this is a great thing for homeowners, as this means more effective heating and cooling. But recent turmoil in the supply chain impacts how quickly these systems can be manufactured and shipped. There are several reasons why your new air conditioner or furnace is delayed, like:
- COVID-19 Precautions: As workers continue to navigate COVID-19, taking sick days and additional safety precautions have somewhat contributed to the backlog. A few extra days every now and then accumulates over time.
- Supply Chain Issues: Global supply chains are designed for optimal efficiency and can take a while to correct themselves when consumer demands or the availability of materials shift. While companies set up alternatives to help catch up, existing backlogs continue to make steady, if slow progress.
- Higher Costs of Raw Materials: Metals such as steel and copper are invaluable for efficient HVAC equipment. Important materials also include plastics and even finished electronics like microchips and semiconductors. These two components are especially scarce.
- Worker Shortage: As industries start back up, they’re also facing a shortage of workers in comparison to the spike in demand. Professional HVAC technicians also take time to train to make sure they provide dependable, efficient services.
As you can imagine, all these issues have slowed down the gears of the HVAC industry. As products take longer to arrive, people may have to wait longer for services like air conditioning installation. Luckily, you still have options for minimizing delays.
4 Ways to Lower the Impact of HVAC Product Shortages
Are you actively looking for new HVAC equipment? Or do you just want to avoid being stuck without heat or air conditioning? Whatever your reasons are, there are things you can do to minimize how the HVAC product shortage affects you.
- Don’t ignore routine maintenance: Services like routine air conditioning maintenance are one of the best investments you can make in your HVAC system. Components stay in better shape, which means more consistent performance and a lower risk of problems.
- Watch for signs of equipment failure: A surprise shutdown could leave you stuck waiting for a replacement. Listen for loud sounds and keep an eye on your energy bill for signs the HVAC system is in trouble.
- Order in advance: If you were waiting to order a new furnace or air conditioner, it may be a good idea to go ahead and make the order. Even with existing supply chain issues, you’ll be more likely to receive your new equipment when you actually need it.
- Consider alternative equipment: If a current make or model is facing a shortage, considering alternatives can open up other options. Thanks to modern technology, there are more choices for high-efficiency HVAC systems than ever.
Request a Free Quote for New HVAC Systems
The HVAC professionals at 1st Choice Heating & Air Conditioning, Inc. want to help lower your wait times for a new furnace or air conditioner. If you’re considering new or replacement installation, it’s a good idea to get a head start. Request your free estimate today by giving us a call at 949-204-0859.